Sweat drenched my red face, dripping off my skin and on to the carpet beside the elliptical I was using for my workout. The corner of my eye caught sight of a woman, about the same age as me. She was clad in skin tight pants and workout shirt. I could not help but notice the tautness of her physique as she walked past. A part of me encouraged me to push heavier into the weighted steps and up my game. I could look like her, I just had to work harder. Yes, that was it. I just had to work harder.
I had to stop myself for a moment and take time to retrain my thinking.
Lie: my value comes from what I look like and I do not look as good as she does.
Truth: my value comes from what Christ sees. He sees me as absolutely perfect, with no flaw whatsoever! He rejoices over the fact that I exist and willed me into being. He sees my heart. He values my reverence for Him. I am perfect because He says I am.
After going through this process, another part of me, in contrast to my sergeant mentality, wanted to weep. My heart hurt due to the fact that the same challenge I had just been faced with is one so many women face, comparison. Unfortunately, so many women do not have the tools to deal with the emotions that bombard them when they do not feel good enough.
Years ago I suffered from an eating disorder that almost took my life. This eating disorder ensued because I did not understand my value as a Daughter of the King of Kings. Comparison is rooted deeply and firmly in this lack of identity. When we don’t understand how we are seen by the King of Kings, or even what this really means, we will look to media and our peers to determine what we ought to look like in order to have value. This is killing us.
I want to let you in on something. There is a someone, way more popular and attractive than the hottest rock star or movie star, who sees you and knows you. This man is passionately, crazily in love with you. He decided who you would become and has loved you despite any mistakes you have ever or will ever make. This man actually threw Himself in front of a death for you. He did this because He found you so desirable that he willing lost his life for you. This man wants to spend time with you every day and is NEVER too busy for you, EVER. He is Love. He is everything you have or will ever need.
Please remember this when you feel the creeping inclination you may have to compare yourself to those around you. If you would like to escape this mentality I STRONGLY suggest a couple things.
- Stand in front of a mirror and look at you. Focus your eyes on the places that you do not like, that you hear lies about on a regular basis and ask God how He sees those parts of you. Give Him time to answer. Listen and believe that what He says is truth. After listening and accepting the truth, repeat and remember what He said about that particular piece of you that He tenderly crafted.
- Spend time with Him and ask Him to reveal the truth about who you are as a person. As Him to do deep inner healing in your life. Ask Him for the strength to not run to insecurity and comparison in order to make yourself feel valuable.
- Reflect on the truth about who He has made you to be as illuminated in His Word. I took the liberty to list some examples of these truths, retrieved from bible.org, and their references. For more of these verses please check out https://bible.org/article/who-does-god-say-i-am,.
- God supplies all my needs.
And my God will supply your every need according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19).
- I have been made complete in Christ.
… You have been filled in him, who is the head over every ruler and authority (Colossians 2:10).
- I have been chosen of God, and I am holy and beloved.
Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with a heart of mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience … (Colossians 3:12).
- God loves me and has chosen me.
We know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you … (1 Thessalonians 1:4).
I pray your passion for Christ will grow as you see Him transform your mind and thinking into a place of complete freedom and peace!